Thursday, May 30, 2013

Sometimes, This is How it Goes. . .


Evie is sicker than ever and is in danger of dying a sudden, painful death.  Her viral count has shot up to ten times her level at birth, which explains her new and worsening symptoms.  On top of that, her doctors discovered some very dangerous swollen veins in her esophagus, which could rupture easily and cause Evie to bleed to death.  These veins could rupture from eating, coughing, or vomiting.

At this point we’re not sure whether there is any solution for Evie.  She cannot have the veins removed because her platelets are so low that she would bleed out from the procedure.  She cannot have more antiviral medicine because she would again suffer deadly side effects on her liver.  There is an experimental drug that might reduce the viral load, but would likely have deadly effects on her kidneys and bones.  And even if we were to reduce the viral load, it is likely that Evie would still be extremely sick anyway because of all the damage already done to her body.

So we are considering terminating treatment . . .

I am still trying to find words to express everything right now, but the words don’t come.  I am sorry.  Please know that at least Evie is comfortable right now.

Here is Evie, peacefully resting this morning.

8 comments:

  1. Vera,
    You have been amazing through all of this. We are continuing our prayers to see you all through this difficult time. Little Evie is so loved by so many people.
    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Vera, I wish I could give all of you a big hug right now. If Jason and I can do anything, please let us know xoxoxo Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all are thinking of you guys, much love.
    Ben and family

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me, but I am a friend of David and Bekah. My thoughts have been and continue to be with you. I am praying for your sweet little Evie, and for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vera,

    I know you and Kabir are strong enough. Take good care of each other, and know that we all love you soooo much. Hope to see you real soon.

    Love,
    Ed and Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you all my love. My heart is breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, dear Vera,
    My heart breaks for you and little Evie and your whole family. I love you.
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful that Evie has such a wonderful family. All my thoughts and love are for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete